From: Friedrich Stöhlker, Die Kartause Buxheim 1402-1803/12. Vol. 1. Analecta Cartusiana 96:1. Salzburg: Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik, 1987. 33-49; and Friedrich Stöhlker, “Die Kartause Buxheim: Ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des Kartäuserordens in Deutschland.” In Das Buxheimer Chorgestühl: Beiträge zur Bau- und Kunstgeschichte der ehemaligen Reichskartause Buxheim und zur Restaurierung des Chorgestühls. Edited by Michael Petzel. Arbeitsheft 66. Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege, München, 1994, 49-56.
Items in red relate to the library specifically.
|c. 950 Gift of the village Buxheim to the Cathedral of Augsburg by Luitgardis, presumably the sister of St. Ulrich (890-973).
|c. 1075 First mention of the gift of BUHSHEIM in the will of Embrico, Bishop of Augsburg (1063-77).
|c. 1100 Establishment of a house of canons incorporated under the cathedral chapter of Augsburg. The cathedral chapter was under imperial authority, as was its subordinate house of canons. This served later as a justification for the imperial status of the chapterhouse.
|1217 First mention of a provost (Probst): Albertus de BUSHAM.
|c. 1300 Erection of the eastern part of the collegiate church, later the church of the monastery.
|from c. 1371 Provost Heinrich von Ellerbach, uncle of the Bishop of Augsburg, Burkhard von Ellerbach (1373-1404).
|1399 Purchase of bailiwick (Vogtei) and lower jurisdiction (Niedergericht) from the knights of Eisenburg for the house of canons by Provost Heinrich with a view to the establishment of the charterhouse.
|1401 Bull of indulgence from Pope Boniface IXth (1389-1404) for the collegiate church, which was in a desolate state of repair. This is evidence for the materially ruinous state of the church.
|1402 Founding of the charterhouse. Rejection by the six canons of their prebands. The founding charter is presented to the Carthusian Order by Bishop Burkhard, the cathedral chapter, and Provost Heinrich in return for remuneration for the collegiate church, the parish, and the village of Buxheim. The prior of Christgarten, Johannes Kessler, is possibly the author of the charter. Buxheim becomes, after Christgarten (1383), the second charterhouse in the Bishopric of Augsburg. The inaugural endowment is expanded with the villages Hausen near Ulm and Mindelaltheim near Günzberg, both private properties of the Ellerbachs.
|1403 Act of foundation under civil law: the endowment is handed over to the Carthusian Order, represented by the Prior of Christgarten, by the resigning provost Heinrich in front of city hall in Memmingen. The imperial town of Memmingen takes the new foundation under its protection and along with the prior of Buxheim wields the lower jurisdiction. The Carthusian monks automatically receive citizenship in the imperial town upon their profession. To complete the initial endowment, Bishop Burkhard and the cathedral chapter bestow the parish churches of Mindelaltheim and Niederrieden on the new foundation. Establishment of the first convent, presumably by monks from Christgarten, with six cells (A, B, C, D, E, T) and election of the founding rector, the former prior of Christgarten Ludwig Verwig (1402-03).
|1406 Definitive establishment under the rules of the Order: incorporation of the new foundation into the Order. The rector is made prior. Granting of the house title: “Domus Aulae Beatae Mariae.” The charterhouse is from this time until its dissolution in 1803 under the authority of the visitors of the Provincia Alemanniae inferioris, the lower German province. First visitation. Settlement of the property boundaries with a radius of c. 80 km. around Buxheim.
|1407 Expansion of the initial endowment by benefactors: gift of the 7th monk’s cell (G) by the Memmingen citizen Marquard Wayner.
|1408 Death of the last Buxheim chapter provost in Augsburg, laid to rest in the cathedral cloister.
|1429 Erection of the St. Nicholas chapel, parallel to the south front of the monks’ choir, made possible by a gift by Nikolaus Lechner, a priest in Ulm, originally from Weißenhorn.
|1436 Master Nicolaus von Giengen (1436-39) is the 6th prior. He is the first elected prior and first prior chosen from among the Buxheim professed monks. Previous priors were “hospites” and chosen either by the General Chapter or by visitors. The 13th monk’s cell is founded (M), marking the beginning of the development of a double charterhouse.
|1439 Gift of the parish of Finningen near Ulm.
|1440 In March, destruction by fire of the outbuildings, including barns and stables. In November the Council of Basel confirms the incorporation of the parish church of Finningen and thereby contributes to a reduction of the financial distress resulting from the fire.
|1441 Endowment of three cells, the 15th, 16th, and 17th (J, Z, X).
|1442-64/65 Eighth prior is reelected: Nicolas von Giengen. He is also the first Buxheim prior to serve in both visitor offices: 1446-55 convisitor, and 1456-61 visitor.
|c. 1450 Construction of the lay brothers choir, refectory, cellars, and mill under the direction of the lay brother (conversus) Collmanus de Austria.
|1465 18th monk’s cell (V) built. At this time, the entire cloister is occupied.
|1470 Death of the 10th prior (since 1467), Bartholomaeus, a professed monk from Seitz, the first prior to pass while in office.
|1473 Father General Anthonius (Dellieux, 1472-81) and the diffinitors of the General Chapter grant the nuns of the Cistercian Abbey Heggbach the right to participate in the good works of the Carthusian Order on account of their services to Charterhouse Buxheim.
|1477 Gift for the institution of donate brothers by a Memmingen priest, Matthias Bürer, in the amount of 1000 Gulden. Construction of two cells in the monks’ section of the charterhouse. Purchase of the large and small tenths of the parish of Amendingen to secure an income for the donate priests.
|1480 First donate brother, Joannes Sättelin from Memmingen (d. 1493).
|1484 Eberhard V “im Bart,” Count of Württemberg (1450, Duke 1495, d. 1496) places Charterhouse Buxheim under his protection in Stuttgart.
|1485 Emperor Frederick III (1440-93), upon request from the prior and convent, places Charterhouse Buxheim under imperial protection in Ravensburg. This protection is renewed by every subsequent emperor of the Holy Roman Empire until the dissolution of the charterhouse.
|1502 19th monk’s cell (N), resulting in the expansion of the east wing of the great cloister toward the north.
|1505/06 Third donate brother, secular priest Hilprand Brandenburg from Biberach (d. 1514), benefactor of the Anna chapel in memory of his mother, Anna Glock, and her altar (the Carthusian family tree triptych in the Germanic National Museum, Nürnberg), founder of the Buxheim library’s fame with the gift of his valuable book collection.
|1508 Consecration of the Anna Chapel, the library chapel on the ground floor of the monastic library. The epitaph of the benefactor is still extant.
|1512 Last endowment of cells, the 20th, 21st, and 22nd (O, P, Q) by Radegunda von Eggenburg, the widow of Georg Gossenbrot, patrician and knight of Augsburg, who died in 1502.
|1516 Consecration of the sacristy and its altars.
|since 1521 Reformational tendencies in the monastery encouraged by Memmingen Protestants. End of donations from Swabian imperial towns.
|1525 Peasants’ War: the monks flee, the monastery is pillaged, the church and altars are desecrated.
|1530 Memmingen joins the Schmalkadic League. New source of threat for the charterhouse, which is under the protection of the now Protestant imperial town.
|1536 29th prior: Thilemann Mosenus from Westerburg, the last prior of Güterstein and a controversial theologian (d. 1543), transfers along with the entire Güterstein convent to Buxheim.
|1543 Due to death, transfers, and apostasy, only two monks and two lay brothers remain in the charterhouse.
|1543-45 30th prior, Dietrich Loher, professed monk from Cologne, rescuer and second founder of the charterhouse (d. 26 August, 1554 in Würzburg during a visitation). Revival of the convent with monks from the Rhineland and the Netherlands.
|1546 Short-lived spoliation of the charterhouse by Memmingen during the Schmalkaldic War (1546-47). The charterhouse is occupied, the monks arrested, monastic habit and choir prayer are forbidden. Participation in Protestant prayer in Memmingen is required, the leadership is deposed, property and valuables are confiscated. The prior and procurator are able to escape beforehand. In November, the emperor undertakes a campaign along the Danube. Reversal of fortunes. The Schmalkaldic forces leave southern Germany. The procurator demands that Memmingen cease in its demands.
|1547 The Bishop of Augsburg demands the restoration of the old order. The imperial town (Memmingen) relents and agrees. Emperor Charles V wins a victory at Mühlberg in Saxony, defeating the leaders of the rebellion.
|1547-48 Imperial diet in Augsburg. The emperor deals with his enemies. Prior Dietrich Loher is in Augsburg at the same time in his official role as a restorer of the cathedral after its return to the bishop. Repeated meetings with the emperor, including in his role as confessor. As a general representative of the Carthusian Order, he is successful in restoring confiscated charterhouses, most importantly his own.
|1548 The emperor demands that the imperial town of Memmingen rescind its right of protection over Charterhouse Buxheim. King Ferdinand I confers coat of arms and seal privileges on the charterhouse. With this the charterhouse receives its official certificate of sovereignty. King Ferdinand I, as Archduke of Austria, places the charterhouse under the protection of the House of Habsburg. What was up to this point a latent placement under imperial authority now becomes explicit. No other charterhouse in the German Empire is granted this privilege. From now on the charterhouse can independently wield its lower (patrimonial) jurisdiction and is under the high (capital) jurisdiction and protection of the duchy of Swabia.
|1554-72 Under the leadership of eight priors, the charterhouse gradually overcomes the results of sequestration and stabilizes the material and personnel situation, while developing a secular arm of governance.
|1572-1600 Under the important priors Wilhelm Tryphäus of Lucerne (1572-75, 1588-1600) and Kaspar Schliderer, Imperial Knight of Lachen (1575-85), the charterhouse regains its former glory and status.
|1572-75 Intensive relationship between Buxheim and the professors of the Jesuit university of Dillingen. Prior Wilhelm is personally engaged in recruiting new monks from Dillingen.
|1573 Visit by the Bishop of Augsburg, Johann Eglof of Knöringen (1573-75) along with his court, in the charterhouse.
|1582 Purchase of the village of Finningen with lower jurisdiction and territorial sovereignty for 11,000 Gulden.
|1600-06 44th prior: Hugo Thevenius Edler von Bar. Healthy discipline, extensive building projects in the church and monastery.
|1603 Buxheim becomes a central novitiate for smaller houses, especially for Charterhouse Ittingen.
|1606 The prior becomes apostate and flees to Bern, taking with him large amounts of money and many valuable objects. Intensive literary activity of Buxheim monks in the Ignatian spirit of the Countereformation to repair the loss of prestige caused by the prior’s apostasy.
|1608-23 Duke Wilhelm V the Pious of Bavaria (d. 1626) visits Buxheim four times, corresponds with the prior and expresses the desire to remain in Buxheim or Prüll for the rest of his life.
|1618-48 Thirty-Years War
|1628-66 47th prior: Petrus Kalt from Konstanz.
|1628 Prayer confraternity with Ittingen.
|1631 Completion of the high altar in the late Renaissance and early Baroque style as an expression of Carthusian-Ignatian spirituality, by an unknown master.
|1631-35 Swedish troops in southern Germany.
|1632-35 The Swedes in Buxheim. Great losses through plundering. The members of the monastery, 14 professed monks and 6 hospites monks, flee to the charterhouses of Ittingen, Schnals, Seitz, and Walditz. Three monks remain in Buxheim, the vicar, procurator, and coadjutor. The vicar takes responsibility for the parish of Buxheim.
|1633 Death of Procurator Benignus Reich after being wounded by a Swedish soldier.
|1634-35 Prior Petrus rules remotely from Ittingen.
|1635 Return of the monks.
|1641 Confirmation of the privileges of protection by Emperor Ferdinand III (1637-57) in Regensburg.
|1642 Purchase of the second half of the patronage rights of the parish of Amendingen.
|1646-47 The war comes to Buxheim. Alternately Swedish, Imperial, Bavarian, and French soldiers in Buxheim.
|1646 The headquarters of Archduke Wilhelm Leopold is located in the charterhouse. Twenty-five regiments are bivouacked around Buxheim. The Bavarian troops behave even worse than the Swedes. Flight of the monks to Memmingen under the protection of Bavarian troops out of fear of Swedish pillaging under Field Marshal Wrangel. Wrangel guarantees protection of the charterhouse in writing.
|1647 Ceasefire between Bavaria and Sweden. The town of Memmingen is handed over to the Swedes. The monks return from Memmingen. Prince Maximilian of Bavaria declares an end to the ceasefire in order to retake Memmingen with imperial and Bavarian troops under the command of General Enkewirt. The charterhouse serves as a headquarters for six generals and their staffs. Starting at Buxheim, the siege of Memmingen begins. Capitulation of the Swedes in Memmingen. Withdrawal of the Swedes from Swabia. End of the war’s carnage, beginning of restoration.
|1666-77 48th prior: Petrus von Schneit from Cologne.
|1674 Purchase of the village of Beuren.
|1678-93 50th prior: Johannes Bilstein from Cologne. He was an important visitor.
|1679 Introduction of the institution of donate brothers following the complete clericalization of the monastery.
|1680-1740 Period of renovation and baroquization.
|1688-91 Choir stalls by Ignaz Waibel. The first stalls are delivered on the 5th of February, 1688 and the last on the 25th of May, 1691.
|1693-1711 51st prior: Georg Gottsauer; 1693-1708 convisitor; 1708-11 visitor. Important as a builder and patron.
|1696 Transfer of a copy of the Einsiedeln Madonna statue to Buxheim.
|1699 Purchase of the castle and village of Obenhausen from the Augustinian college of canons in Rottenbuch for 41,000 Gulden.
|1699/1700 Construction of the new library.
|1701-14 War of Spanish Succession
|1702 Following renovation work, consecration of 13 altars in the church and chapels. Conferral of minor orders on P. Benedictus Mehr. The headquarters for Prince Max Emanuel II of Bavaria in the priory. Capitulation of imperial troops in the town of Memmingen, received in the charterhouse.
|1702-04 Bavarian and French troops in Buxheim
|1702-05 Removal of church property and archives to secure them from war damage to Reutte in northern Tirol and Schnals in south Tirol.
|1705-08 Furnishing of the Magdalene chapel in the ground floor of the new library, to be the chapel for donate brothers. With participation by Friedrich Sichelbein, (Franz Benedikt?), and Hermann and Ignaz Waibel.
|1709 Addition of the Maria or Hugo chapel at the west end of the church, with stucco by Dominikus Zimmermann (first commission at Buxheim), along with Dominikus Göbhart and Benedikt Zöpff.
|1709-11 Stucco work in the monastery church by Dominikus Zimmermann, frescoes by Johann Baptist Zimmermann. Stucco and fresco work in the sacristy and library (ceiling frescoes dated 1710).
|1711-21 52nd prior: Petrus Leickard from Würzburg. 1712-15 convisitor, 1715-21 visitor. Important as a builder and patron.
|1712-13 Stucco work in the chapter chapel.
|1712 Two new altars each on the choir screen (Lettner) and west gallery (since 1956 in Ottobeuren).
|1718 New high altar piece by Johann Georg Bergmüller for 400 Gulden. Purchase of three farms and two incomes in Niederhausen (near Neu-Ulm) for 8,500 Gulden.
|1719 Purchase of the village of Pless (Unterallgäu) for 124,000 Gulden. Stucco work in the refectory by Johann Georg Reusch and his apprentice Pontian.
|1721-43 53rd prior: Georgius Stock from Hainert near Hassfurt (Unterfranken). 1729-33 convisitor; 1733-39 visitor. Important as a builder and patron.
|1726 Permission from the bishop to tear down the old parish church in Buxheim. Laying of the corner stone of the new parish church by the master of the hospice (Spitalmeister) of Memmingen.
|1729 Consecration of the new parish church by Johann Jakob von Mayr, auxiliary bishop of Augsburg (1718-49). Master builder and stuccoist Dominikus Zimmermann, stuccoist Dominikus Göbhart, and fresco painter Franz Georg Hermann (ceiling paintings, high altar piece), sculptor Georg Reusch, sculptor Anton Sturm, painter Gabriel Weiß, father and son.
|1733-38 Renovation and stucco work on the cloisters under the direction of Dominikus Zimmermann and his son Franz.
|1735-40 Construction of and stucco work in the Anna chapel by Dominikus Zimmermann and his son Franz. Also participating in the furnishing is Anton Sturm.
|1737-41 Renewal of the Maria or Hugo chapel in connection with the translation of the catacomb saint Quartillus.
|1737 Arrival of the Quartillus relics.
|1738 Rejection of the model for a new high altar and new Maria altar presented by the Memmingen Augustinian brother Bonifatius. Payment for the work of the Augsburg gold smith Franz Thaddäus Lang on the martyr shrine.
|1739 Dressing of the “holy body” by Johann Michael Strohemayr from Ottobeuren. Completion of the renovation of the Maria or Hugo chapel (privileged altar since 1702) for the installation of the reliquary by Johann Georg Reusch. The altar sculptures are by Anton Sturm. Partial new stucco work in the chapel completed in 55 days by the stuccoist “Leonhard.” Translation celebration in honor of St. Quartillus, the new patron saint of the charterhouse, with a high mass by the Memmingen master of the hospice (Spitalmeister) in conjunction with the choir and orchestra of the Premonstratensian abbey Rot an der Rot.
|1741 The last mention of stucco work by Dominikus Zimmermann in the charterhouse, presumably in the Maria chapel.
|1743-60 54th prior: Hieronymus Krafft von Delmensingen from Biberach. Prior of Ilmbach 1724-43. 1733-39 convisitor; 1739-60 visitor. Important for enforcing the discipline of the Order, both in Buxheim and in the province, and as a representative of the imperial charterhouse externally in juridical and social matters.
|1746 Final acquisition of property for the charterhouse: purchase of the castle and village of Neuhausen (Neu-Ulm) from the archbishop of Augsburg, Joseph Landgraf von Hessen-Darmstadt (1740-68) for 16,799 Gulden.
|1760-1806 55th prior: Hieronymus Pfeiffer from Binsfeld (Unterfranken). Last imperial prior. 1763-70 convisitor; 1786-89 visitor. Important as protector of the discipline of the Order during the time of the Enlightenment, defender of justice and freedom for his little state until its elimination in 1802/03.
|1760 Transfer of high judicial authority from Swabia to the charterhouse by Empress Maria Theresia, acting as the archduchess of Austria. Erection of a gallows, with participation by members of the parish community and the villagers and a speech by the Oberamtmann Joseph Bruno Melck (1749-64).
|1763 New fire fighting ordinance for the monastery and village. Printed in 32 pages for distribution to every household.
|1765 Confirmation of privileges of the charterhouse by Emperor Joseph II (1765-90).
|1782 Elimination of all charterhouses in the hereditary lands of the Habsburgs by Emperor Joseph II. Publication of legal documentation as evidence for the imperial independence of the charterhouse in order to prevent a possible threat to its sovereignty by the Habsburgs. The last prior of the dissolved charterhouse in Further Austria (Vorderösterreich), Freiburg im Breisgau, arrives in Buxheim and travels on a week later to become the new prior of Ilmbach in Lower Franconia.
|1792-97 War of the First Coalition against France
|1792 Abolition of the mother house of the Carthusian Order, the Grande Chartreuse, by the French Revolutionary Government. From France, exiled monks come to Buxheim.
|1793 Final confirmation of the privileges of an imperial charterhouse by an emperor by Franz II (1792-1806). Imperial Prior Hieronymus suffers from Parkinsons and begins signing his rulings and correspondence with a stamp “Hieronymus Prior.”
|1794 Obligation to the Vienna State Bank in the amount of 4,520 Gulden for the support of prosecuting the war with surrender of church silver to the K. K. (royal and imperial) coinage office in Günzberg.
|1795 Golden anniversary of the imperial prior’s anniversary of profession.
|1796 Removal of the Buxheim charterhouse’s property, furnishings, and archives via Bregenz to Ittingen to secure them from the advancing French troops. French emigrant troops under the command of Prince Condé in Buxheim and environs. Withdrawal of the French when faced by Archduke Karl.
|1796-1801 Strife of war in and around Buxheim.
|1797-99 Peace talks at Rastatt aimed at restoring the order of imperial affairs and to compensate imperial nobility with monastic properties.
|1798 Arrival of the prior of Ittingen and his procurator in Buxheim with valuables needing to be secured from the anti-monastic measures implemented in Thurgau (Switzerland). They stay until the fall of 1802. The church council (Stiftsrat) of Ottobeuren receives authority to negotiate for the imperial charterhouse at the congress of Rastatt.
|1799 Appeal for help by the imperial prior to Emperor Franz II to avert the threat of secularization. 10,000 Russian troops under Marshal Suvarov are in Buxheim and surroundings while on the march to Switzerland and back.
|1799-1801 War of the Second Coalition
|1800 Victory of the French under Moreau over the Austrians under Kray near Buxheim-Hart-Egelsee.
|1801 Peace of Lunéville. The French leave Buxheim and environs in 1802. Peace of Lunéville: destruction of the old German empire by Napoleon. Surrender of the left Rhine bank to France. Those princes and dukes who suffer losses on the left bank are to be compensated by church property from the right Rhine bank. Buxheim’s secularization is therefore a foregone conclusion.
|1801 and 1802 Final plea for help from the prior to Emperor Franz to maintain the charterhouse, with reference to the great cost of the war, which is supposed to have come to 300,000 Gulden.
|1802 The imperial town of Memmingen and the imperial charterhouse engage in last-ditch efforts through talks at the Paris negotiations to prevent the loss of their independence. First notice of a projected secularization: “Buxheim is to be granted to the (nobles of) Leiningen.” Memmingen is occupied by Bavarian troops and loses its independence. Last profession in the charterhouse. The Commission for Dissolution for Upper Swabia, led by the Duke of Württemberg and the Margrave of Baden, begins its work in the Abbey of Ochsenhausen. Execution of the Decree of Dissolution of the imperial charterhouse. Announcement of the Decree of Dissolution in the Town Hall (Amtshaus) in Buxheim. Provisional end of the charterhouse and seizure of the property by the Dissolution Commission.
|1803 Imperial Recess (Reichsdeputationshauptschluss) in Regensburg. Definitive secularization of the charterhouse and award to Count Maximilian von Ostein (1736-1809) as compensation for Myllendonk near Mönchen-Gladbach. Surrender by the prior of his governance and release of civil servants and retainers from their loyalty oaths. Seizure of the charterhouse by representatives of the Count of Ostein. Agreement of Support (Unterhaltsvertrag) between the count and the monastery. The monastery remains operational. Taking in novices is forbidden. The monastery consists of the prior, 18 monks, and 4 donate brothers.
|1803-06 Buxheim as an Imperial County or Shire (Reichsgrafschaft)
|1804 The final celebration of first Mass (Primiz) of a Carthusian.
|since 1805 Prior Hieronymus is in a coma.
|1806 The last Buxheim imperial prior dies at age 85, in the 61st year of his profession, the 58th of his priesthood, and the 46th of his priorship. He is laid to rest in the monastery church. Election of the 56th and last prior, the procurator and the comital director of finances, Petrus Lipburger from Andelsbuch in the Vorarlberg. End of the comital status of Buxheim. Buxheim transfers to the Kingdom of Bavaria. Bavaria takes possession. The monastery is allowed to continue to exist until the death of the last monk.
|1809 Death of the Count of Ostein in Aschaffenburg at the age of 74. Buxheim is passed on to the sister of the deceased, Charlotte Duchess of Hatzfeld and Gleichen.
|1810-1926 Buxheim is in the possession of the Counts of Waldbott von Bassenheim, a noble family from the mid-Rhine area.
|1810 Following disputes over inheritance, representatives of Count Friedrich Karl Waldbott von Bassenheim (1779-1830) take possession of Buxheim. His father, Johann Maria Rudolf, the burgrave of Friedberg (1731-1805) had received the imperial abbey of Heggbach.
|1811 On account of internal differences as well as with the prior, the monks have the question of the future of the monastic community put to them. With a plurality of monks, Count Friedrich Karl dismisses the prior and installs the vicar Romualdus Geiger as the head of the monastery. Immediate prohibition of nightly choir prayers.
|1812 Count Friedrich Karl orders the end of the Buxheim community of Carthusians. Persons present: 12 monks, 1 brother. The older monks are allowed to continue to live in their cells, the younger monks must attend a university to prepare themselves to become parish priests.
|1813 Start of the repurposing of the charterhouse into a comital residence. Relocation of the central administration of the comital properties in Nassau, Württemberg, Bavaria, and the vicinity of Koblenz from Aschaffenburg to Buxheim.
|1814 The former Carthusians ask Count Bassenheim to advocate for the restoration of Charterhouse Buxheim at the Vienna Congress.
|1815 Profaning of the Carthusian cemetery in front of the choir of the monastery church.
|1816 The chapter chapel is torn down. The main altar goes to the Protestant church in Volkratshofen. The comital central library is transferred from Friedberg and Kransberg to Buxheim.
|1818 The comital central archives are moved from Aschaffenburg to Buxheim.
|1820 Former Carthusian P. Anton Benedikt Frick takes over the Buxheim parish. Profaning of the Magdalene chapel, desacrilization of the altar stone. Future repository of incunables, manuscripts, and some subjects of theology on the ground floor of the library building. Librarian is P. Matthias Schiltegger, OCist. from Salem (d. 1826 in Heggbach).
|1823 Count Bassenheim purchases the Burgraveship of Niederrieden.
|1824 Election of ex-prior Petrus Lipburger as prior of Ittingen (d. 13 September, 1836).
|1829 Reception of King Ludwig I (1825-48) and his wife Theresia on their journey from Memmingen to Friedrichshafen on the road near Westerhart by representatives of the absent count, the parish priest, with speech (triumphal arch with chronogram), and the citizens of Buxheim.
|1830 Death of the first Bassenheimer, Count Friedrich Karl, in München, laid to rest in the newly constructed family crypt in front of the high altar in Buxheim. The ledger stone is still extant. Regency governance for the underage heir Hugo Philipp. Start of the squandering of Buxheim’s cultural property.
|1840 -95 Count Hugo Philipp Waldbott von Bassenheim (d. 17 May, 1895 in Buxheim).
|1841 Assumption of the comital administration of Buxheim by Count Hugo Philipp. Reception by civil servants, the priest, and the citizens at the palace gate, fireworks display in the evening.
|1849-59 Several auctions in Heggbach. Start of the official mismanagement of the monastic properties by the Bassenheimer.
|1860 Death of the last Buxheim Carthusian, the chaplain of the palace, P. Aloysius Stegemann, at the age of 85, in the 62nd year of his profession and 58th year of his priesthood in Buxheim.
|1872-83 Negotiations with the Carthusian Order concerning the restoration of the charterhouse on the basis of a purchase or rental agreement. The negotiations fail due to resistance by the Bavarian government based on the culture war (Kulturkampf) and resentment against France. After the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71, there was no desire to have French Carthusians in Buxheim.
|1875 Count Hugo Philipp sells the former imperial abbey of Heggbach to the princes of Waldburg-Wolfegg.
|1883 Mortgage of the entire Bassenheim property. Wasteful spending, failed speculation, and mismanagement lead to debt and insolvency. Auction sale of valuables in München, mostly former Carthusian properties: choir stalls of the monk’s and brother’s choir, altars, church silver, paintings. The sale of the celebrant’s chair failed due to its size and difficulties of transport, which is why it remained in Buxheim. Auction of the library in München. Of the c. 50,000 volumes of the original collection, 16,680 volumes, 8 catalog volumes, and many musical books were brought to München.
|1884 Auction of those volumes that were not sold in 1883 (1375 volumes). [These were offered by Ludwig Rosenthal in his sales catalog Number XL.]
|1895-1904 Count Friedrich Ludwig Waldbott von Bassenheim.
|1904-26 Count Ludwig Maria Karl Waldbott von Bassenheim.
|1916 Sale of the cloister, church and library buildings to the state of Bavaria.
|c. 1921 Demolition of the out buildings (including the brewery) located over the steep bank of the Iller River depression.
|1925 Count Ludwig sells the monastery archive to the prior of Abbey Ottobeuren, P. Augustinus Krimm (d. 1930), for 2000 Gold Marks. Vestments and chalices also become the property of Ottobeuren, as well as a large collection of paintings.
|1926 After the sale, Count Ludwig transfers the Buxheim monastery and palace buildings in a desolate state to the Salesians Don Bosco for the establishment of a private school for late learners with a college preparatory middle level. New spiritual and religious life in Buxheim. Count Ludwig gives the family and administrative archives to the Prussian state, along with the Buxheim revenue office and the Heggbach administrative records. Death of the last count of Buxheim, Count Ludwig Waldbott von Bassenheim, in an air balloon accident near Landsberg am Lech.
|1955 Transfer of the profaned monastic church from the State of Bavaria to the Salesians for their use to hold services. This is followed by the removal of the choir screen, along with other renovations. Up until this point, the library had served as the house chapel.
|1956 New consecration of the church by the bishop of Augsburg.
|1962 After fruitless negotiations with the Bavarian state archives for the purpose of an exchange of archives, the Buxheim records are deposited by the Hessian state archives in Wiesbaden at the Abbey Ottobeuren as a permanent loan. The transfer took place on the 14th of July, 1962, the day of laying the cornerstone of Charterhouse Marienau near Seibranz, the successor charterhouse to the imperial Charterhouse Buxheim, by the prior of Charterhouse La Valsainte, Switzerland.
|1975 Establishment of a Carthusian museum in two renovated monks cells.
|1980 Return of the choir stalls of the monks from England to Buxheim.
|1983 International conference for Carthusian studies in Buxheim.
|1985 Tübingen dissertation in Art History on the Buxheim high altar.
|2002 International conference in Buxheim on the 600th anniversary of the founding of the charterhouse.